Easy tomato sauce
Easy tomato sauce! A great sauce to put on everything. It is made with basic pantry staples and it can be all yours in 10 minutes. You can’t beat that.
Everyone should have a batch of this easy, super tasty and versatile homemade tomato sauce in their fridge or freezer.
Prep Time5 mins
Cook Time10 mins
Total Time15 mins
Servings: 2 cups
- 500 g Passata substitute with canned chopped tomatoes
- 1 tsp garlic granules
- 1 tsp onion granules optional
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 2 bay leaves optional
- 1 tsp chilli flakes
- 3 tbsp olive oil
Add passata, onion and garlic powder, oregano, basil, chilli flakes, salt, bay leaves and olive oil into a saucepan and simmer on low-medium heat for 10 minutes and you have the best homemade tomato sauce in your hand/kitchen. Leave the sauce longer than 10 minutes for greater depth in flavour. The sauce will thicken more and be easily spreadable.The tomato sauce will keep in the fridge for up to 5 days and up to 3 months in the freezer
- If using fresh tomatoes, peel off the skin before you use. If you find it too sour or acidic, add about 1 tsp of sugar to the sauce, this will help neutralise it.
- You can add 2 tbsp of concentrated tomatoes to the sauce for richer colour
- If you would be storing it in the freezer, do so in batches so it is easier to use as at when needed without having to thaw the whole batch
- Substitute the dried herbs used for fresh ones.
- Use canned tomato plum to replace passata if that is what you have. For a smooth sauce, pass the sauce through a sieve once it has cooled down.
- You don't have any of the listed herbs and spices listed in this recipe, swap it for 1 tablespoon of homemade Italian seasoning mix