Spicy Falafel Wrap Recipe
Let me show you how to make the best spicy falafel wrap at home in easy steps. The falafel itself is perfectly crispy on the outside and tender on the inside with delicious flavours. This middle eastern food is vegetarian, vegan and can be served as a meatless healthy meal for the meat lovers.
- 2 400 g chickpea drained that is 480g drained chickpeas
- 25 g fresh parsley
- ½ cup onion, chopped
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp cumin
- 2 tbsp all purpose flour
- 3 large garlic glove
- Salt to taste
- 1 tbs lemon juice
- Vegetable oil for frying about 500ml or more
For the falafel wrap (vegetable variations)
- Tortilla wraps: substitute with pitta or shawarma wrap
- Fresh tomatoes, sliced.
- Lettuce, chopped.
- Onions, chopped.
- Cucumber slices
- Avocado, sliced
- ½ cup plain light yoghurt
- 2 tbsp tahini
- Water to dilute sauce if it is too thick
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- salt and pepper to taste
Drain the chickpeas then add it to the food processor along with parsley, onions, garlic, cumin, salt, cayenne pepper, all-purpose flour and pulse till coarse in texture. Be careful not to puree it.
Transfer the mixture into a bowl and divide into about 8- 12 parts. Shape the divided mixture into balls or patties.
Place a pan on medium-high heat, add vegetable oil and heat until hot.
Carefully add the falafel balls or patties into the hot oil and fry for about 3 to 4 minutes until golden brown. Transfer to a kitchen towel to drain the oil and serve whilst it is warm.
Assemble the falafel wrap
On a tortilla wrap, spread the yogurt-tahini sauce, then add salad, avocado slices, fried falafel; Top up with more sauce if needed. Carefully wrap together, then serve.
- In other to avoid the falafel from soaking up oil whereby making it unhealthy, make sure the oil is hot enough. If you are in doubt, drop a tiny bit of the mixture into the hot oil, if it sizzles and floats to the top of the oil then it is ready to use. For a more accurate reading, use a candy thermometer, a reading of 340F/170C is a good starting point
- Do not overcrowd the oil when frying as this would drop the temperature of the oil.
- Eat them while they are warm except you will be eating with salad.