Spinach Rice (spanakorizo)
This simple Greek spinach rice (spanakorizo) is flavourful, delicious and can be perfectly served alongside almost any mains!
- 4 cups cooked basmati rice
- 3 cups spinach chopped
- 1 small onion chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic chopped
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil use half butter, half oil if desired
- 2 tbsp chive chopped
- ½ tsp bullion powder optional but recommended
- ground black pepper use according to preference
Heat oil in a pan over medium heat, add garlic and onion and saute till translucent
Add the spinach stir fry till spinach is wilted. Season with some salt, pepper and bullion powder is using
Add rice and stir fry till well combined, check for salt and seasoning and adjust accordingly.
Finish it off with the chopped chivesServe rice warm with a squeeze of lemon.
If you would be using raw rice, follow the stir fry steps and add the raw rice. cover this with broth and simmer until rice is tender and fluffy. Check for salt and seasoning and adjust accordingly.
- You can use frozen spinach for this recipe
- I used Tropical golden sella basmati rice, it cooks well and comes out fluffy. (Not sponsored)
- it is important to use broth for this recipe for flavour. This is the reason I used bullion powder as I stir fried the rice.
- substitute chive with dill or spring onions. You can use a combination of all these herbs if you want