If you think bread making is a hard job, then think again! I can’ tell you how many times I have made this now. Homemade bread is the best. This is my go-to Agege bread recipe, it is easy to make and best of all bromate free. This bread is better than what you get from the shops
- 500 g strong bread flour or strong plain flour more for dusting
- 25 g butter substitute with 2tbsp olive/vegetable oil
- 40 g sugar use less or more
- 7 g fast action dried yeast
- 280 ml warm water
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 egg for egg wash optional
Melt butter and add to 280ml warm water (or milk)
In a shallow bowl, add all dry ingredients and mix together
Stir butter and warm water mixture into the dry ingredients
Put the sticky dough onto a lightly floured plain surface/ worktop and knead for 5 minutes. Add more flour if needed but don’t add too much. Knead till dough is no longer sticky but stretchy.
Oil or butter a loaf tin and put the dough in the tin making sure all areas are covered
Preheat oven at 200C/392F
Cover with a clean kitchen towel or use a big plastic bag to cover the dough and leave to proof for an hour or more till the dough doubles in size/ fill the size of the tin
Egg wash the top of the risen dough if you want (I did because I wanted a shinning finishing)
Bake bread for 30-35 minutes or until the top is golden brown. Leave bread to cool or serve immediately
- To make warm water for this recipe, use 100ml of boiling water then add 180ml cold water to make lukewarm water.
- Don’t worry when you mix your dough and it is sticky, when making bread, the wetter the dough the better.
- You don’t need to activate your yeast if you are using fast-action dried yeast