This carrot leek soup will warm hearts and you might just find yourself making it every week. Honestly, apart from the fact that it is a 30 minutes meal, it is very flavourful, spicy, it is good for the cold and super healthy.
The first time I made carrot-leek soup was when I moved to Manchester and hosted the Rector from my Church at the time, I had to come up with a quick 3 course meal that won’t cost me an arm and leg and will reflect a bit of personality. I tell you, there is nothing bland about this soup. I haven’t stopped making it since then, I have tried different versions and I find this recipe to be the best of them all.
Carrot-leek soup is very quick to make, and it can be ready in 30 minutes, it is a one-pot dish and it can be made almost mess-free when you buy already made ingredients like already washed and cut carrots, leek and chopped onions. I am not sure if I can say that this soup is a lazy man's dish. Interestingly, this spicy soup can be very filling as well, especially when you have it with some hot-buttered bread roll. Under 30 minutes, with few ingredients, a blender or an immersion blender, you'll have yourself a yummy, spicy and healthy soup.
What is in my soup
Sun-dried tomatoes, this is optional but I highly recommend it
Broth or stock
salt and pepper
How to make Carrot leek soup
First, you saute the leek and onion in some hot oil. Then you add the chopped carrots, sundried tomatoes, herbs, salt and pepper and continue to stir fry for another few minutes. Cover the sauteed vegetable with broth, leave to simmer for some few more minutes and blitz with a hand blender (immersion blender) or in an actual blender. See very easy soup recipe and it's ready in 30 minutes. Perfect comfort food the whole family would enjoy.
This soup can be made without stock (broth), simply skip this and use water instead. Stir in some roasted garlic for more depth and flavour
Easy Carrot Leek Soup
- 600g carrot peeled and washed
- 200g leek sliced and rinsed
- 1 small onion chopped about ½ cup
- 4 sundried tomatoes optional
- 600 ml chicken stock/water
- salt to taste
- 1 tablespoon chilli flakes or use according to preference
- Fresh thyme few springs substitute with 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 3 tablespoons olive oil any type of oil would do too
- ½ tablespoon smoked paprika
- Place a large pot on medium high heat, add the oil and heat for about a minute
- Add sliced leek and onions to the oil and stir till it's translucent but not browned (this should only be for about 3 minutes)
- Add sliced carrot to the above and continue to stir for another minute, add sun dried tomatoes, chilli flakes, paprika and thyme and stir to combine.
- Add chicken broth/stock, stir to combine and cover with the lid and leave it to simmer for about 20 minutes or until carrot is soft and fork can go through easily.
- Turn off the heat, use an immersion blender to puree the mixture or leave to cool and then puree in a blender.
- Check for salt and seasoning and adjust accordingly. Serve the carrot leek soup with some more fresh thyme and hot-buttered dinner roll or any other crusty bread of choice. Enjoy x
How to store carrot soup
- Carrot leek soup will stay up to 3 days in the fridge, I have never had to freeze this soup so I can't say how long it could store for but I am sure it should keep a while in the freezer.
- Add more water or stock if the soup is too thick
There you have it lovelies, easy spicy carrot leek soup. I would like to hear back from you if you make this carrot leek soup. Leave me a comment or share a photo with me on Instagram x
Found a leek in the fridge with a few carrots found your recipe it's cooking now can't wait to try it I will be freezing it though so easy to make xx
Made it. Fabulous! Whole family loved it. Didn’t have sundried tomato and only had a teeny bit of thyme. So I added a bunch of dill. Thanks for the recipe!
Thank you so much Yvette, I am happy you enjoyed the recipe.
Loved this carrot/leek combination! I inverted quantities i.e. more leek and less carrot (cuz I had to get rid of carrots before going on a long weekend). Thank you for sharing!!
Hello Karen, I am glad you enjoyed it and thanks for the feedback
Making it now … smells delicious, I used smoked paprika but does anyone know the amount? Thanks
Hi Gail, you only need about 2 teaspoons of paprika and then adjust to suit you. Kindly let me know how it turns out. Thanks
Amanda Mason says
LOVING the addition of the sun dried tomatoes!! That's one of my favorite ingredients ever!! Love this write up...now a bowl right now!!
Thank you, Amanda
Leslie Haasch says
I totally live off soups this time of year, and while I have a go-to carrot ginger soup I love to make, the idea of carrot leek sounds just as good!
Krista Price says
Carrots and leeks were grown to be together, in my opinion -so, this recipe is speaking my language! I love the added sun-dried tomatoes! The flavors going on in this soup are AMAZING! 🙂
Nicolas Hortense says
Beautiful combo to have in a soup. it's 40 degrees where I am from atm so super hot, not really soup weather lol. However, in the winter i would be all over this.
I loved this carrot soup!!! It was so delicious!!!! And super easy to make!
Oh thank you Jennifer! I am glad you enjoyed it.
I love the spin you put on the normal carrot soup with sun dried tomatoes and chilies ! I never had a liking for carrot soup as they always tasted so sweet. This soup is right up my alley!
I am sure you would enjoy it if you gave it a try. Thanks for stopping by Farwin
Analida Braeger says
I love love carrot soup. So nourishing and hearty. But low cal. Whata deal.
I totally agree with you. It's guilt free too
Nicoletta De Angelis Nardelli says
Love that it is a 30-minute meal and that you add sundried tomatoes. So cool!
The kind of meal one needs when time seems not to stop to get things done.
I just love soup and trying out new ones! This carrot leek soup looks divine! Love how fresh, easy and fast it is to make too! 🙂
I can double confirm that the soup is divine. Thanks for the comment.
Carrie | Clean Eating Kitchen says
This looks like the perfect weather for soup season! So creamy and comforting, it looks so thick and full of flavor!
The soup fits perfectly for this weather I can say. Thanks for the comment.
Elaine Benoit says
I love the flavor combination of carrots and leeks! Your soup looks so flavorful, thick and delicious. Not to mention the outstanding color! Great recipe!
Thank you so much Elaine for the encouraging comment.
This is such a great recipe for an easy weeknight meal! My kids love carrots, I bet they would totally dig this soup! I look forward to making it soon 🙂
Thank you Aleta. It was a great hit with my children too, although my eldest wouldn't eat raw carrot and I have tried all I could. I was happy when she took this on and even asked for more helpings.