This carrot leek soup will warm hearts and you might just find yourself making it every week. Honestly, apart from the fact that it is a 30 minutes meal, it is very flavourful, spicy, it is good for the cold and super healthy.
The first time I made carrot-leek soup was when I moved to Manchester and hosted the Rector from my Church at the time, I had to come up with a quick 3 course meal that won’t cost me an arm and leg and will reflect a bit of personality. I tell you, there is nothing bland about this soup. I haven’t stopped making it since then, I have tried different versions and I find this recipe to be the best of them all.
Carrot-leek soup is very quick to make, and it can be ready in 30 minutes, it is a one-pot dish and it can be made almost mess-free when you buy already made ingredients like already washed and cut carrots, leek and chopped onions. I am not sure if I can say that this soup is a lazy man’s dish. Interestingly, this spicy soup can be very filling as well, especially when you have it with some hot-buttered bread roll. Under 30 minutes, with few ingredients, a blender or an immersion blender, you’ll have yourself a yummy, spicy and healthy soup.
What is in my soup
Sun-dried tomatoes, this is optional but I highly recommend it
salt and pepper
How to make Carrot leek soup
First, you saute the leek and onion in some hot oil. Then you add the chopped carrots, sundried tomatoes, herbs, salt and pepper and continue to stir fry for another few minutes. Cover the sauteed vegetable with broth, leave to simmer for some few more minutes and blitz with a hand blender (immersion blender) or in an actual blender. See very easy soup recipe and it’s ready in 30 minutes. Perfect comfort food the whole family would enjoy.
This soup can be made without stock (broth), simply skip this and use water instead. Stir in some roasted garlic for more depth and flavour
Easy Carrot Leek Soup
- 600g carrot peeled and washed
- 200g leek sliced and rinsed
- 1 small onion chopped
- 4 sundried tomatoes optional
- 600 g chicken stock/water
- salt to taste
- 1 tbsp chilli flakes use according to preference
- Fresh thyme few springs
- 3 tbsp olive oil any type of oil would do too
- Place a large pot on medium high heat, add the oil and heat for about a minute
- Add sliced leek and onions to the oil and stir till it's translucent but not browned (this should only be for about 3 minutes)
- Add sliced carrot to the above and continue to stir for another minute, add sun dried tomatoes, chilli flakes, paprika and thyme and stir to combine.
- Add chicken broth, stir to combine and cover with the lid and leave it to simmer for about 20 minutes or until carrot is soft and fork can go through easily.
- Turn off the heat, use an immersion blender to puree the mixture or leave to cool and then puree in a blender.
- Check for salt and seasoning and adjust accordingly. Serve the carrot leek soup with some more fresh thyme and hot-buttered dinner roll or any bread of choice. Enjoy x
There you have it lovelies, easy spicy carrot leek soup. I would like to hear back from you if you make this carrot leek soup. Leave me a comment or share a photo with me on Instagram x