Last Updated on
This crispy fish burger is seriously delicious, healthy and quick to make. This is honestly one of the best fakeaway fish burgers I have had in a long time.
Crispy Fish Burger
This fish burger here is flavoured with simple pantry ingredients and bound to make everyone happy. Well if you are a fish lover, I might just change your mind with this crispy fish burger recipe.
Take a break from the usual beef burger and treat yourself to this insanely delicious fish burger. The best part is, you only need 15 minutes to make it. This fish burger recipe will sure bring the whole family together. Perfect dinner recipe you can’t resist.
Truth be told now, my daughter does not really like fish and anytime I make this crispy fish burger, I tend to make beef on the side for her. That girl made me realise fish is not for everyone, she’s gone from not eating it to eating smoked fish and now she hardly touches it.
Back to my homemade crispy fish sandwich that I paired with chips and chive-mayo dressing. I seasoned the fish with salt and then moved on to dipping it in egg seasoned with paprika, cumin and bouillon cubes (optional). Finally, I coated it in breadcrumbs and then fried it. You can bake the fish in the oven, but time is of the essence. Be assured it would still come out crispy if baked. I was just lazy and didn’t mind the extra calories from frying the fish. I used cod fillet for this recipe but any other firm white fish fillet like haddock or Pollock would work a treat too.
If you have a daughter like mine that doesn’t like fish, I bet they can’t say no to these turkey burgers. Perfectly moist and delicious like this homemade fish burger easy and super quick too
Fish Burger Ingredients
Fresh cod fillets
Cumin powder substitute with garlic powder or use both
Bouillon powder (optional)
Golden breadcrumbs: substitute with panko breadcrumbs
4 brioche burger buns
2 large tomatoes, sliced
Vegetable oil for deep frying
Chive mayo dressing Ingredients
This is my go-to burger dressing and it is utterly delicious.
Apple cider vinegar
Salt to taste
Mix all chive-mayo dressing ingredients together and set aside
How To Make Fish Burgers
Season fish with salt and set aside
Get 2 bowls, add the spices and egg into one and whisk to combine. In another add breadcrumbs and set aside
Add vegetable oil to a pan and place on medium-high heat, if you would be baking the fish. Preheat the oven at 200⁰C
Start by adding the fish to the egg wash and then finally coat in breadcrumbs. For extra crunch, repeat this process
Fry fish in hot oil for about 5 minutes or until golden, crispy, done and not burnt.
Assemble the burger with salad, fried fish, dressing and enjoy. Swap mayo chive dressing for tartar sauce
Top Tips to Making The Best Fish Burger Recipe
- Season fish with salt, set aside for about half an hour before frying or baking
- It is essential you season the egg wash with spices and bit of salt, to avoid bland taste
- Alternatively, you can season the breadcrumbs instead of the above. Swap breadcrumbs for chickpea flour or any other free from flour to make it gluten-free
- If you would like the classic way of making this recipe, start by dredging the fish in seasoned flour, add to egg wash then coat with breadcrumbs and fry.
double coat the fish in breadcrumbs for extra crispiness
You can also use frozen fish for this recipe but make sure it has thawed completely before cooking
Crispy Fish Burger with Chips
- 4 cod fillets
- 4 brioche burger buns
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp bullion powder (optional)
- 1.5 cups breadcrumbs
- Romaine lettuce
- 2 large tomatoes sliced
- 1 large egg
- Vegetable oil for deep frying
Chive Mayo dressing
- 4 tbsp mayonnaise use more if desired
- 3 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp chive chopped
Chive Mayo Dressing
- Mix all chive mayo dressing ingredients together and set aside
- Season fish with salt and set aside
- Get 2 bowls, add the spices and egg into one and whisk to combine. In another add breadcrumbs and set aside
- Add vegetable oil to a pan and place on medium high heat, if you would be baking the fish. Preheat the oven at 180⁰C
- Start by adding the fish to the egg wash and then finally coat in breadcrumbs. For extra crunch, repeat this process
- Fry fish in hot oil for about 5 minutes or until golden, crispy but not burnt.
Assemble fish burger
- add lettuce to one half of the bun, dollop of dressing then fried fish fillet, tomatoes. add more dressing if desired and finally top with the other half of the bun
I would like to know how you got on if you tried this recipe, tag me on Instagram or #myactivekitchen. You can also save this recipe to your Pinterest! See you on my next post