This crispy fish burger is seriously delicious, healthy and quick to make. This is honestly one of the best fakeaway fish burgers I have had in a long time.
Crispy Fish Burger
This fish burger here is flavoured with simple pantry ingredients and bound to make everyone happy. Well if you are a fish lover, I might just change your mind with this crispy burger recipe.
Take a break from the usual beef burger and treat yourself to this insanely delicious fish burger. The best part is, you only need 15 minutes to make it. This burger recipe will sure bring the whole family together. Perfect dinner recipe you can't resist.
Without blowing my own trumpet about today's recipe...
Hear what my readers are saying
Jo said l have made this a couple of times now and it is a big hit with the family. l did use brioche buns but omg this is good.
Toth said Yummy! 🍔 Better than a drive-in 😋
Ataraxia said I use chickpea crumbs instead but this tastes so good ❤️ give it a go if you have the time.
The best fried fish fillet ever
Back to my homemade crispy fried fish sandwich that I paired with chips and homemade chive-mayo dressing. I seasoned the cod fillet with salt and then moved on to dipping it in egg seasoned with paprika, cumin and bouillon cubes (optional). Finally, I coated it in breadcrumbs and then pan-fried it.
You can bake the fish in the oven or air fry for a healthier version, but time is not of the essence. Be assured it would still come out crispy if baked. I was just lazy and didn’t mind the extra calories from frying the fish.
I used cod fillet for this recipe but any other firm white fish fillet like haddock or Pollock would work a treat too.
Related post: If you have a daughter like mine that doesn't like fish, I bet they can't say no to these turkey burgers. Perfectly moist and delicious like this homemade fish burger easy and super quick too
Fish Burger Ingredients
Fresh cod fillets
Cumin powder substitute with garlic powder or use both
Bouillon powder (optional)
Golden breadcrumbs: substitute with panko breadcrumbs
Brioche burger buns or any other bun of choice.
Vegetable oil for deep frying
Chive mayo dressing Ingredients
This is my go-to burger dressing and it is utterly delicious.
Apple cider vinegar
Salt to taste
Mix all chive-mayo dressing ingredients together and set aside
How To Make Fish Burgers
Season fish with salt and set aside
Get 2 bowls, add the spices and egg into one and whisk to combine. In another add breadcrumbs and set aside
Add vegetable oil to a pan and place on medium-high heat, if you would be baking the fish. Preheat the oven at 200⁰C
Start by adding the fish to the egg wash and then finally coat in breadcrumbs. For extra crunch, repeat this process
Fry fish in hot oil for about 5 minutes or until golden, crispy, done and not burnt.
Assemble the burger with salad, fried cod fillet, dressing and enjoy. Swap mayo chive dressing for tartar sauce
Top Tips to Making The Best Fish Burger Recipe
- Season fish with salt and pepper, set aside for about half an hour before frying or baking
- It is essential you season the egg wash with spices and a bit of salt, to avoid a bland taste
- Alternatively, you can season the breadcrumbs instead of the above. Swap breadcrumbs for chickpea flour or any other free from flour to make it gluten-free
- If you would like the classic way of making this recipe, start by dredging the fish in seasoned flour, add to egg wash then coat with breadcrumbs and fry.
- You can also use frozen fish for this recipe but make sure it has thawed completely before cooking
How to store
In the fridge: I strongly recommend you eat this fish on the day you made it. Fish can be easily overcooked when reheating. That said, If you have any leftovers from this recipe, store it in the fridge for up to 3 days in an airtight container.
In the freezer: The breaded fish, uncooked would last up to 3 months in the freezer. All you have to do is follow all the directions in this recipe except for the frying or baking part. Separate the fish with parchment paper so it doesn't stick.
Cook the fish directly from frozen by deep-frying it, alternatively, bake in the oven at 200C/400F for 20 to 30 minutes depending on the size of the fish. You can also air fry at 200C/400F for 15 to 20 minutes. The internal temperature of cooked fish should read 145F/62C.
To reheat: use the microwave or air fryer to warm the fish before serving. Alternatively, shred into a salad and eat cold.
Crispy Fish Burger with Chips
- 4 cod fillets
- 4 brioche burger buns
- 1 tsp paprika
- ½ tsp cumin
- ½ tsp bullion powder (optional)
- 1.5 cups breadcrumbs
- Romaine lettuce
- 2 large tomatoes sliced
- 1 large egg
- Vegetable oil for deep frying
Chive Mayo dressing
- 4 tbsp mayonnaise use more if desired
- 3 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp chive chopped
Chive Mayo Dressing
- Mix all chive mayo dressing ingredients together and set aside
- Season fish with salt and set aside
- Get 2 bowls, add the spices and egg into one and whisk to combine. In another add breadcrumbs and set aside
- Add vegetable oil to a pan and place on medium high heat, if you would be baking the fish. Preheat the oven at 180⁰C
- Start by adding the fish to the egg wash and then finally coat in breadcrumbs. For extra crunch, repeat this process
- Fry fish in hot oil for about 5 minutes or until golden, crispy but not burnt.
Assemble fish burger
- add lettuce to one half of the bun, dollop of dressing then fried fish fillet, tomatoes. add more dressing if desired and finally top with the other half of the bun
Recipe originally posted on 16/03/2019
I would like to know how you got on if you tried this recipe, tag me on Instagram or #myactivekitchen. You can also save this recipe to your Pinterest! See you on my next post