As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Please read my Full Affiliates Disclosure here.
This easy shrimp fried rice is a quick and easy rice dish that would have your family asking for a second helping. This shrimp fried rice recipe would make you forget your takeaway. It is so delicious, and you can’t beat the fact that it is very easy to make.
This shrimp fried rice is made with fresh (frozen) shrimps, day-old rice, scrambled egg, frozen mixed vegetables and sauce. Fried rice is a great way of using leftover rice. I love recreating takeaway meals in the comfort of my kitchen as I have control over what goes into it. This easy shrimp fried rice is no exception to that. It is not greasy and I did not scrimp on the shrimp used as most takeaways would do. I have in my fried rice just what I want and what my family enjoys eating.
One of the facts I love about making fried rice is that you can add just about everything you want in it. A mess-free rice dish that can be easily customised to your dietary need. I love shrimp and so does my family and I see myself adding it to any recipe I can. In fact, I would add more than needed because I eat them right from when they are done. This is my version of healthy shrimp fried rice as I am in control of what goes into it. If you love shrimp and rice then this quick and easy recipe is what you need.
Ingredients for shrimp fried rice
Chopped onions and garlic
Fried rice sauce
Sesame oil optional
How to make easy shrimp fried rice?
Start by sautéing chopped onions and garlic in vegetable oil over medium heat until fragrant. Add the shrimps and cook until pink. Remove the shrimp from the wok and set aside. This is to avoid overcooking the shrimps.
Add the mixed vegetables and stir fry for about 2 minutes then move on to adding the cold rice, quickly stir together to combine. Crack the eggs into a bowl, season with salt, white pepper and whisk to combine
Increase the heat, Create a well in the middle of the pan (high heat) and add the whisked eggs, scramble the egg and mix with the rest of the rice.
Return the cooked shrimp into the pan, stir to combine, taste for salt and seasoning and adjust accordingly.
Finally, pour the fried rice sauce over rice and stir to combine. Add the chopped green onions then serve immediately.
Tips for making the best shrimp fried rice
- Use day-old cooked rice or cold rice in other to achieve the right texture. Unlike some other rice recipes like fried rice, Jollof rice or spinach rice that you can use raw rice for as a one-pot dish, Chinese fried rice tastes better with cold rice. The rice doesn’t have to be day-old rice, you can use cooled freshly cooked rice. Spread the rice out on a baking tray and leave it to cool completely or simply chill in the fridge for some few minutes before use. Alternatively, opt for shop bought pouch rice, they work like magic. In fact, I couldn’t recommend it enough for this spinach rice recipe. It is lazy but we are allowed one of those days.
- I used frozen shrimp and vegetable for this fried rice recipe. Make sure the shrimp is completely thawed before using. You can use the frozen mixed vegetable in the fried rice directly. In fact, if all you have is frozen peas and carrots then you are good to go
- Cook over high heat but be careful so you don’t burn the rice
- Fry the egg separately for chunky scrambled egg and season the egg before frying
- Make this shrimp fried rice a complete meal by adding chicken, pork or any other source of protein you want. Customise it to taste. I am very partial to chicken fried rice too
- You can make this fried rice in the skillet if you don’t have a wok. Whatever you do, make sure your pan is hot when stir frying the rice.
- Fancy spicy shrimp fried rice, then throw in some fresh chopped green chillies while stir frying the rice
Other recipes you should check out.
Nigerian fried rice which is almost like the easy shrimp fried rice. No soy sauce is needed for this fried rice and the rice is cooked in broth.
Spinach rice is my newfound love and one of my go-to way of eating rice with Veg and getting the whole family to join in.
Easy coconut rice, this is one of my other rice recipes with shrimp
Easy Shrimp Fried Rice
- 4 cups cooked rice cold
- 15-20 raw shrimps shelled and deveined
- 2 cups Mixed vegetables substitute with frozen peas and carrots
- ½ tsp Salt
- 2 large eggs Beaten
- 3 tbsp Vegetable oil
- 1 small Chopped about ⅓ cup
- 2 cloves garlic chopped
- ½ tbs white pepper
Fried rice sauce
- 1 tbsp Oyster sauce
- 2 tbsp Dark soy sauce substitute with light soy sauce
- ½ tsp Sesame oil optional
- Start by sautéing chopped onions and garlic in vegetable oil on high heat until fragrant. Add the shrimps and cook until pink. Remove the shrimp from the wok or skillet and set aside. This is to avoid overcooking the shrimps.
- Add the mixed vegetables and stir fry for about 2 minutes then move on to adding the cold rice, quickly stir together to combine. Crack the eggs into a bowl, season with salt, white pepper and whisk to combine
- Increase the heat, create a well in the middle of the pan, add the whisked eggs, scramble the egg and mix with the rest of the rice. Alternatively, fry the egg separately for chunky scrambled egg
- Return the cooked shrimp into the pan, stir to combine, taste for salt and seasoning and adjust accordingly.
- Finally, add the fried rice sauce to the rice and stir to combine. Add the chopped green onions then serve immediately.