As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Please read my Full Affiliates Disclosure here.
Last Updated on
This 3 bean chilli recipe is a perfect comfort food that should on the menu in every household. This bean chilli is packed with protein and it is mostly eaten with rice, taco, jacket potato or bread
I was inspired to cook this hearty 3 bean chilli by @foodace on Instagram when she reposted a picture of Quinoa Black chilli beans made by @acouplecooks. If you are looking for another way to eat and enjoy stewed beans (beans jollof/red red) then it is a definite must that you try this recipe.
This 3 bean chill also allows you to add vegetables and other proteins of choice to your beans which make it even healthier. Bean chilli, can be cooked almost the same way you cook regular beans only that in this case, you would be using 3 types of beans, triple the yum hey. This recipe can be made to suit your dietary need and it is very easy to make. The actual physical cooking time for this bean chill was less than half an hour and it is important to slow cook the bean chilli too so that all the flavours are infused. I made this bean chilli with what I had at home hence the presence of tomato soup in the recipe and tbh, it made it even more sumptuous.
- if you don’t have most of the recipe I used due to your location, simply make do with what you have by making some smart swaps.
- If you would be using raw beans, cook it first on its own till soft, don’t add salt or seasoning. Drain and set aside.
- Make this bean chilli your own and share your creation
Ingredients for chilli beans
Red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
Tin butter beans, rinsed and drained
Black eye beans, cooked and drained
Tomato cream soup
Red wine vinegar (optional)
Rapeseed oil (substitute with vegetable/olive oil)
How to make 3 chilli beans
1. Place a pan on medium heat, add oil and heat for about 2 minutes, add the diced onions and courgette and sweat till soft. Do not let it burn (cook on low heat). Add the mince and continue to stir till mince turns brown and well cooked.
2. Add chopped tomatoes, tomato soup, tomato purée and stir to combine.
3. Add seasoning, salt, paprika, garlic powder and cayenne pepper. Stir to combine and leave to slow cook on low heat between 30-45 minutes. Check and stir intermittently so that it doesn’t stick to the bottom of the pan. It shouldn’t if cooked on low heat
4. Add all the beans to the sauce, stir to combine. Check for salt and seasoning, add the red wine vinegar if using and stir to combine. Leave to cook for another 10-15 minutes on medium heat. Add chopped parsley, stir to combine and take the beans chilli off the heat and serve with sides of choice.
Enjoy with rice, bread or any other side of choice. hey, don’t forget to add cheese too!
3 Bean Chilli
- 400 g tin red kidney beans rinsed and drained
- 400 g tin butter beans rinsed and drained
- 400 g black eye beans cooked and drained
- 400 g tin chopped tomato
- 400 g tomato cream soup
- 250 g lean mince meat
- 1 beef bullion cube
- 1 medium Onion diced
- 1 tsp Garlic powder
- 2 tbsp tomato puree
- 1 tsp Paprika
- Cayenne pepper use according to preference
- 1 Zucchini (courgette) chopped (substitute with carrot)
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar optional
- handful parsley chopped
- 2 tbsp rapeseed oil substitute with vegetable/olive oil
- Place a pan on medium heat, add oil and heat for 2minutes, add the diced onions and zucchini (courgette) and sweat till soft. Do not let it burn (cook on low heat). Add the mince and continue to stir till mince turn brown
- Add chopped tomatoes, tomato soup, tomato puree and stir to combine.
- Add beef bouillon, salt, paprika, garlic powder and cayenne pepper. Stir to combine and leave to slow cook on low heat between 30-45 minutes. Check and stir intermittently so that it doesn’t stick to the bottom of the pan. It shouldn’t if cooked on low heat
- Add all the beans to the sauce, stir to combine. Check for salt and seasoning, add the vinegar if using and stir to combine. Leave to cook for another 10 minutes on medium heat. Take the beans chilli off the heat and serve with sides of choice.