Sticky Asian chicken wings!!! These chicken wings are not only sticky and sweet, they are also crispy and falls right off the bones.
In case you are wondering why there is another chicken recipe on the blog, well I love chicken. I have confessed my love to this so many times on the blog. I can honestly say I don’t cook chicken if I know I won’t be able to give it the TLC it deserves
This sticky Asian chicken wings is no different, I treated it like a queen. This chicken wings recipe is very easy to make but it does take a while to cook. You can of course cut down the cooking time by frying but I would recommend baking or grilling. I said this because, no one ever eats chicken wings as main meal so I always try to make it a bit heathy-ish to allow for any accompaniment that would be coming with it. This Asian chicken wings is perfect for all occasions, I have made this recipe with 1kg chicken wings and it would serve 4 people conveniently. If you would be making this for dinner parties, barbecue or any hosting of sort, you can double this recipe. The fun bit about this recipe is that you can easily source the ingredients used in making it.
How does this sticky Asian chicken wings works?
Get chicken wings, season and bake it then coat/toss in the glorious Asian sauce made with soy sauce, garlic and honey. See… it’s so simple and I promise you would ask for more.
Do I have to bake the chicken wings?
No, you don’t have to, you can fry or grill the chicken. However you choose to cook the chicken, ensure it is crispy. That way, the sauce sticks to the chicken without washing off. Sticky chicken should be sticky right??
How did you make this crispy from just baking?
I added baking powder (NOT BAKING SODA) to the chicken wings, see how else I have used it here. Please use aluminium sulphate free baking powder. Only use the recommended quantity otherwise, the chicken might have a bitter taste.
Sticky Asian Chicken Wings
- 1 kg chicken wings cut into drumettes and winglette
- Hot chilli pepper use according to preference
- 1/2 tsp Salt use according to preference as soy sauce also contains salt
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tbsp garlic powder levelled
- 1/3 cup dark soy sauce
- 1/3 cup honey
- Preheat the oven at 160⁰C
Place a rack unto a baking tray (spray the rack with oil or simply rub oil on it)
- It is important that the chicken wings are pat dry before adding the dry ingredientsAdd chicken wings to a bowl, add baking powder, salt, 1 tsp garlic powder and mix to combine
- Place the chicken wings on the rack in single layer and bake the oven for 30 minutes.Crank up the heat to 220⁰C c and bake for another 40 minutes or until golden and crispy(check on the chicken at interval and change sides if need be) take it out of the oven and leave to cool for about 5 minutes
- To make the sauceAdd honey, soy sauce, 1tsp garlic, chilli pepper to a sauce pan, stir to combine and bring to boil over medium heat. This should be roughly about 5 minutes. If after 5 minutes the sauce is not thick enough, continue to cook till it reduces and thickens more.Add the baked chicken wings into a bowl, pour the cooked sauce over the chicken and toss to combine and chicken well coated.Serve chicken immediately