Last Updated on
Finally, I have an easy vanilla sponge cake recipe on the blog! Thanks to the amazing plates used in the photo-shoot for making it happen. This sponge cake was so moist and almost melted in the mouth, the fun bit is… this vanilla sponge cake keeps well in the fridge too and you can still enjoy it after some few days.
Vanilla Sponge Cake
I made this vanilla sponge cake at the weekend and I had no clue how to photograph it cos I didn’t have the required set of crockery… until I attended this party and viola the appetizer plates kept calling my name. To be honest I had popped into my local TK Maxx earlier on to check for the rare finds that same day, unfortunately, there was nothing and I went home empty-handed with a not too happy face. At the party, I shamelessly asked for 3 of these disposable plates. They fitted perfectly well for the picture I had in mind for my vanilla sponge cake.
This is a very basic sponge cake, but I really can’t say it is basic as the cake filling took it from 10 to 100 and the cake itself was everything and more. It was so moist and not overly sweet. Can I also add that this vanilla sponge cake recipe has been tried and tested so many times? I will share the recipe for the salted caramel buttercream filling in another post. I always use less sugar in my cake recipes every time especially when I fill it like this one. Feel free to adjust the sugar to your need. I have made this sponge cake with pantry staples, nothing complicated at all. In fact, if you choose, you can make this sponge cake in one ball. Add all the ingredients into a mixing bowl and mix to combine using a hand mixer or stand mixer. This is the only sponge cake recipe you will need. It is perfect for all occasion, super moist, tender and tasty.
Ingredients for easy sponge cake
- All-purpose flour
- Vanilla extract
- Full fat milk or cream
- Salted caramel extract, optional
- Baking powder, optional
- Eggs and two 8-inch cake pan
Tips for making the best moist cake
- Use preheated oven
- It is essential you weigh out all the ingredients for the cake. No eyeballing here, please.
- Ensure all the ingredients used e.g. eggs, butter are in room temperature
- Don’t overmix the batter. once you have creamed the butter, sugar and eggs together, you can fold in the flour into the mix using a spatula to avoid over mixing it
- It is important you don’t leave the cake lying around for too long before putting it in the oven. This might result in a dense cake
Vanilla Sponge Cake
- 250 g all purpose flour
- 180 g to 200g caster sugar
- 250 g butter plus more for greasing pan
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp full fat milk or cream
- 1/2 tsp salted caramel extract optional
- 1/2 tsp baking powder optional
- 4 medium eggs
- Preheat the oven at 180⁰C, 160⁰C for a fan oven, you want to use the centre of the oven, so that the heat is distributed almost evenly
- Butter the pans (2 x 8-inch cake pan), dust with flour to cover the whole buttered pan or place a baking sheet at the bottom of the pan
- Sift the flour and baking powder in one bowl and set aside
- In another bowl, add the butter and sugar and whisk using hand-held mixer until light and fluffy. This should be for about 5 minutes
- Break the eggs into a small bowl and add the vanilla and caramel extract, drop the yolk one at a time with some egg white into the creamed butter and mix to combine. Add the milk and mix to combine
- Once combined, add the sifted flour and baking powder (if using) and gently fold into the wet ingredients until well combined and smooth.
- Divide the cake batter into the cake pan evenly and bake in the oven for 20 minutes or when the toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Leave to cool and turn unto a cooling rack. serve cake with ice cream, whipped cream
Other Yummy Sweet Recipes To Try
Don’t forget to #myactivekitchen on Instagram or leave a comment for me when you make this easy vanilla sponge cake. I will see you on my next post, thank you all for an amazing 2018 and I promise a better and consistent yummy post in 2019. Happy Holidays!