As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Please read my Full Affiliates Disclosure here.
Last Updated on
Nigerian eba is a type of food made from garri with hot boiling water. It should not be mistaken for EBA which stands for the European Banking Authority. If you are looking for how to make Nigerian eba (eba food) then you are in the right place.
Here, you will learn how to make it on the stovetop, in the microwave and in a bowl. These procedures are quick and very easy too. There is also a bonus on how to make eba roll.
I posted Bitter leaf soup on Facebook recently and I had a request on how to make Eba roll. Also, you can learn how to make Nigerian eba (also called eba food) using three methods as mentioned above.
What is Eba (Eba Food)
Eba is a type of food staple (swallow) popularly eaten in Nigeria and by Nigerians all over the world. It is made with fried cassava called garri and hot boiling water to form a smooth stiff dough. It is best eaten with Nigerian soups such as Okra, Afang soup, Efo riro, Egusi soup and many more. Garri comes in two forms, yellow garri which contains palm oil or white garri which is fried without palm oil.
Ingredients for Nigerian Eba
For Eba Roll
Premade morsel food of choice (swallow/solid as called in Nigeria)
Cling film or plastic bag
How to Make Eba (Eba Food)
This is a quick overview of how to make Nigerian eba. You can make it in the microwave, in a bowl or on the stovetop. I am more of a stovetop girl as I find it super easy to make. It is important to know that garri absorbs water differently depending on the type used.
You only need boiling hot water, a sturdy spoon or wooden spatula and garri to make eba
For every 1 cup of boiling water used, you will need between 1/3 cup of garri to 1/2 cup. Like I mentioned above, garri absorbs water differently.
bring water to a boil in a kettle, place a small saucepan on medium heat, carefully measure out 1 cup of hot boiling water and pour into the saucepan.
start by stirring in 1/3 cup of garri to the hot water with a wooden spatula. If the eba is still soft, sprinkle more garri until desired texture is achieved. Serve it immediately with any Nigerian soup of choice
How to Make It In A Bowl
Add hot water to a bowl (water must be at rolling boiling point)
sprinkle the garri into the water (distributing it evenly as much as you can) use a wooden spatula or spoon to turn it together until smooth and lump free. Just like the stovetop method, add more garri if it is too soft or more of the hot water it is too hard.
How to Make Microwave Eba
Add garri to a microwaveable bowl and cover with cold water. (the same level)
place the bowl in the microwave
Microwave on high for 2 minutes, take it out and turn together to combine until smooth and lump-free.
How to make Eba roll
If you have worked with dough before, you may find this very easy. Just imagine you are in an art studio creating a masterpiece with any substance of your choice.
On a plain surface, cut cling film or plastic bag into 2 big sizes. One to put the eba on and the other to cover it with.
Use a rolling pin to flatten it and remove the cling film covering it.
Cut out uneven sides to form a rectangle/square
Roll or fold it from one end to another
there you have it EBA ROLL
Using the same flattening method from eba roll
Using a large knife or pizza cutter, cut out triangles from the rectangle starting from the far edge of the rectangle.
Cut a small slit in the middle of the triangle,
Using both hands, hold on to each end of the triangle base and roll it to form a crescent.
Serve with Nigerian soups of choice.
How to Make Nigerian Eba (Eba food)
- sauce pan, wooden spatula or sturdy spoon
- 1 cup boiling hot water or as needed
- 1/3 cup garri more to adjust texture
How to make eba on a stovetop
- bring water to a boil in a kettle, place a small saucepan on medium heat, carefully measure out 1 cup of hot boiling water and pour to the saucepan.
- start by stirring in 1/3 cup of garri to the hot water with a wooden spatula. If the eba is still soft, sprinkle more garri until desired texture is achieved. Mould eba and serve immediately with Nigerian soup of choice
How to make eba in a bowl
- Add hot water to a bowl (water must be at rolling boiling point)
- sprinkle the garri into the water (distributing it evenly as much as you can) use a wooden spatula or spoon to turn the eba together. Just like the stovetop method, add more garri if it is too soft or more of the hot water it is too hard.Mould eba and serve immediately with Nigerian soup of choice
How to make eba in a Microwave
- Add garri to a microwaveable bowl and cover with cold water. (the same level)
- place the bowl in the microwave
- Microwave on high for 2 minutes, take it out and turn together to combine.Mould eba and serve immediately with Nigerian soup of choice
This post was originally published in March 2015. Now republished with new photos and more tips