As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Please read my Full Affiliates Disclosure here.
This salt and pepper chips is better than your regular takeaways. You can’t say no to these easy chips recipe. Fried chips tossed in spices and pepper, it is easy, quick and delicious. This is the best Chinese salt and pepper chips recipe you would ever make
I visited my friend a while ago and she served me chicken and chips, the chips was the best I’ve ever had. Honestly, it was just fried chips but the taste was heavenly and I even had a second helping. If I tell you the secret to those heavenly fried chips was just onions, would you believe? Frozen chips fried with onions and that took it from the normal everyday homemade chips to gourmet for me.
Ordinarily, I wouldn’t fry my chips with onions as I mostly oven-bake them. So today, I’m sharing with you my friend’s amazing homemade chips with my own twist.
If you’ve had Chinese salt and pepper chips from a takeaway, then you would understand today’s recipe. The Chinese use ‘Chinese five-spice’ to stir fry the chips so I used Nigerian 5 spice to make it more Nigerian. Cheeky I know but it worked perfectly well.
All hail the almighty My Active Kitchen Suya spice. It worked perfectly with the fried chips. I’m not surprised really as I use suya spice in my roasted yam. So here is to the simplest food in life with a yummy experience you wouldn’t forget in a while.
Please feel free to use Chinese five-spice instead of Nigerian suya spice. Remember, I have only put my Nigerian spin on this delicious takeaway recipe.
600g frozen chips or as needed
3 Mixed chilli peppers
Salt and black pepper
1 onion chopped
red pepper flakes, optional
1tsp suya spice substitute with 1 tsp Chinese five-spice
Vegetable oil for frying
- You can also use fresh chips or yam instead of frozen
- oven bake the chips to make it healthier, alternatively, use an air fryer
- Use more suya spice if you would be making a larger batch
- Don’t have suya spice or Chinese 5 spices, no problem omit them and you will get the same result.
How to Make Salt And Pepper Chips
Cut the onion into 2. Cut half into wedges and chop the other half, set aside
Chop the rest of the peppers and set aside
Place a frying pan on medium-high heat and heat oil until about 180 degrees otherwise, simply add onion to the oil and if it sizzles and floats to the top, then it’s ready to be used.
While you wait on the oil to get hot, add the chips into a bowl, sprinkle with some salt, add the chopped onions and toss together.
Add the chips and the onions to the hot oil and fry till well done. Otherwise, bake the chips according to packet instructions.
Take the chips out of the oil and drain on a kitchen towel to get rid of excess oil.
In another frying pan or wok, add 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil and heat for 2 minutes, add the chopped peppers, chopped onions and sauté for 2 minutes or till onion is translucent, add 1tsp of suya spice or Chinese 5 spices, salt and pepper and mix all till combined.
Add the fried chips to the sauce and toss together to combine. Check for salt and seasoning and adjust accordingly
Take chips off the heat and serve immediately.
What to Serve with salt and pepper chips
See how easy this Chinese salt and pepper chips recipe is… I would like to see what you have been cooking with my recipe, don’t forget to tag @myactivekitchen on Instagram, Facebook or simply send me an email. See you on my next post
Salt and Pepper Chips
- 600 g frozen thick cut chips or as needed
- 3 Mixed chilli peppers
- ½ tsp Salt
- 1 medium onion cut into halves
- 1/2 tsp Seasoning optional (I used a splash of Maggi liquid seasoning)
- 1 tsp suya spice substitute with Tbsp 5 Chinese spice
- Vegetable oil for frying
How to fry chips
- Place a frying pan on medium-high heat (about 4 inches higand heat oil until about 180⁰C/356°F otherwise, simply add onion to the oil and if it sizzles and floats to the top, then it’s ready to be used.
- While you wait on the oil to get hot, add the chips into a bowl, sprinkle with some salt, add the chopped onions and toss together.
- Add the chips and the onions to the hot oil and fry till well done. Otherwise, oven bake the chips according to instructions.
- Take the fried chips out of the oil and drain on a kitchen towel to get rid of excess oil.
How to make salt and pepper chips
- In another frying pan or wok, add 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil and heat until hot, add the chopped peppers, chopped onions and sauté for 2 minutes or till onion is translucent, add suya spice or Chinese 5 spices, salt and pepper and mix to combine.
- Add the fried chips to the sauce and toss together to combine. Check for salt and seasoning and adjust accordingly
- Take chips off the heat and serve immediately.
• oven bake the chips to make it healthier.
• Use more suya spice if you would be making a larger batch
Recipe originally posted in 2016 and now updated with new photographs for housekeeping. The recipe remained the same as the readers like it as well. Below is a photo from the original recipe for reference.
DID YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE? PLEASE RATE IT AND LEAVE ME A COMMENT. USE #MYACTIVEKITCHEN OR TAG @MYACTIVEKITCHEN ON INSTAGRAM SO I CAN SEE YOUR PHOTOS, I WOULD LOVE TO SEE YOUR CREATIONS. THANK YOU!