Last Updated on
I am an all-rounder (instant) ramen noodle lover, this chicken ramen stir fry is unbelievably easy, delicious and packed with vegetables. Oh! It takes less than 20 minutes to make, this makes it a perfect recipe for when you want a quick and fast lunch or dinner. I might also add that this chicken ramen is better than your takeout.
Indomie noodles (ramen) is a thing in every Nigerian household. In fact, I would be surprised if you go to a Nigerian home to find out they don’t eat ramen noodles. You are wondering what I am trying to justify (palm on face). Well, we buy a carton of chicken flavoured instant ramen noodles every other month in my household. My eldest daughter can tell if the noodle is not Nigerian made too. We discard the seasoning pack that comes with it, but she is still able to tell if it’s not the same brand she eats.
Anyway, back to today’s post chicken ramen stir fry, this recipe is packed with flavour, vegetable and no sodium packed flavour packet was hurt while making it. Toss it out, you don’t need it not for this recipe anyway. This noodle stir fry is easily adaptable and you can customise it to suit your diet.
Ramen noodles: I used instant chicken ramen noodles (flavour pack discarded) You can use fresh if that is what you have.
Broccoli and bell pepper: you can use any vegetable of choice, either fresh or frozen. If using frozen vegetables, make sure it is cooked through before adding to the noodles. Nothing hurts more than biting into a frozen vegetable when you are supposed to be enjoying a warm food.
Stir fry sauce: I used soy sauce, Worcestershire sauce and oyster sauce as I wanted to keep it simple. You can add a little bit of sesame oil and Chinese rice vinegar.
Chicken breast: one of the highlights of the dish for me. The chicken was cubed and season with salt and pepper before coating with cornflour. You can also use beef, prawns or just vegetable to make it vegan or vegetarian. Another protein that I am partial to when making ramen noodles is the egg. In fact, where I come from, instant ramen noodles and egg (boiled or fried) is a perfect food marriage made in heaven. You don’t necessarily need to use fresh chicken for this stir fry, any left over would be a great addition too.
Chilli flakes: who doesn’t like a bit of kick and heat in their meals? If you have fresh chillies, go ahead and add it to the stir fry.
Garlic and ginger paste: because there is no great stir fry without them
Vegetable oil: you only need a little just to brown the chicken.
Brown sugar: I omitted this but feel free to add a tablespoon of brown or white sugar to the sauce. In my opinion, I think the Worcestershire sauce made up for the missing sugar.
How to make chicken ramen noodle stir fry
This chicken ramen noodle stir fry is made in 3 steps
- Stir fry the chicken and vegetable until tender
- Cook the ramen noodles, drain and set aside
- Add the sauce to the cooked tender chicken vegetable then add the drained noodles. Toss together and serve.
- Use any vegetable of choice. If it is a vegetable you like, to go ahead and add it
- Use frozen vegetable if it’s what you have
- Swap instant ramen noodles for a gluten-free version
- Use any type of instant or ramen noodle. Discard the flavour pack that comes with it.
- I have used chicken breast for this recipe, ideally, I would use chicken thigh as with most of my recipes. Easy chicken wrap, Chicken shawarma… Chicken thigh is a lot juicer than chicken breast
- Cook the ramen noodles in the same skillet as the vegetable. In this instance, use instant noodles as it takes about two minutes to cook. You might also need more water to cook the noodles than stated on the pack. Remember you have other elements in the skillet too.
Chicken Ramen Noodle Stir Fry
- non-stick skillet
- 3 packets instant ramen noodles
- 2 cubed chicken breast about 300g
- 1 cup chopped broccoli
- 1 red bell pepper chopped
- 1 tbsp cornflour
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
Stir fry sauce
- 3 tbsp dark soy sauce
- 1 tbsp Oyster sauce
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1 tbsp minced ginger
- ½ tbsp Sesame oil optional
- Mirin optional
- 1 tbs brown or white sugar optional
- Season the chicken with salt and pepper. Coat with cornflour and set aside
- Add all the stir fry sauce ingredients into a small bowl, mix to combine and set aside
- Place a skillet on medium heat, add vegetable oil and heat till hot. Add chopped onions and cook until translucent, add chicken pieces and brown on both sides. Make sure chicken is cooked through. This should be about 4 to 5 minutes
- While waiting for the chicken and the other vegetable to cook/stir fry, cook the instant noodles according to the instructions, add more water than the instruction says as you would still drain it. alternatively, add the noodles in a bowl, pour hot water over it, cover with a lid and leave to stand for about 5 minutes. Another option is cook the noodles in the microwave.
- Add chopped broccoli and peppers to the chicken and continue to stir fry until vegetable is tender.
- Add the stir fry sauce to the tender vegetable and chicken, toss or mix to combine and cook for another 1 minute or 2 or until sauce reduces.
- Add the drained noodles to the pan, sprinkle over the chilli flakes and toss all together to combine.
- Take it off the heat and serve immediately with garnish of chopped green onions
• Use any vegetable of choice. If it is a vegetable you like, go ahead and add it
• Use frozen vegetable if is what you have
• Swap instant ramen noodles for gluten free version
• Use any type of instant or ramen noodle. Discard the flavour pack that comes with it.
• I have used chicken breast for this recipe, ideally, I would use chicken thigh as with most of my recipes. Easy chicken wrap, Chicken shawarma… Chicken thigh is a lot juicer than chicken breast
• Cook the ramen noodles in the same skillet as the vegetable. In this instance, use instant noodles as it takes about two minutes to cook. You might also need more water to cook the noodles than stated on the pack. Remember you have other elements in the skillet too.