How to make the easiest homemade coleslaw ever. This was ready in 5 minutes, thanks to my trusted food processor.
Easy Coleslaw Recipe
Whenever you have carrots and cabbage lying fallow in your fridge, what comes to mind? Coleslaw right? Well, if you are a huge fan of homemade coleslaw, then this easy 5 minutes coleslaw recipe is for you. Take the classic coleslaw to another level by adding spring onions and coconut shavings to it. To me, coconut takes most dishes to a whole new level.
How to make perfect coleslaw at all times
Use the freshest vegetable you can get. I am not a huge fan of onions in coleslaw but I would give spring onions thumbs up all the time as it makes it very tasty and refreshing. If you also want to try something new apart from the regular mayonnaise dressing, add a bit of lemon juice or lemon zest to the dressing to give it a bit of zing. You can also add a little bit of sugar, salt and black pepper to it too and you will never see coleslaw the same way again. Making coleslaw is pretty easy and with a food processor or hand grater, you can make it happen in 5 minutes. Let’s get right to it
Thinly sliced cabbage (use the food processor for this is you have one)
chopped spring onions
apple cider vinegar.
How to make Coleslaw
Place shredded cabbage, carrot and spring onion into a bowl and mix to combine. In another bowl, mix the dressing ingredients together as desired, mix to combine, refrigerate and add to the coleslaw until you are ready to use. Alternatively, you can mix it all together, refrigerate and consume within two days with dressing and up to five days without. Serve with mains of choice
For healthier version
Substitute the mayonnaise with non-fat Greek yoghurt. Swap sugar for stevia or skip it entirely.
What to serve it with
5 Minutes Coleslaw
- ½ of a medium sized cabbage Remove the outer leaves, cut into halves and remove the core
- 2-3 medium size carrots washed and peeled
- 1-2 pcs Spring onions, chopped optional but highly recommended
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- Salt to taste
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1/2 cup Homemade mayonnaise or shop bought or more. see instructions on how to make mayonnaise
- Black pepper to taste
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar optional
- Using the grating blade in the food processor, grate carrot and cabbage and set aside
- Add grated carrot and cabbage in a salad bowl, add coconut shavings and mix together till well combined, add chopped spring onions and set aside
- Mayonnaise dressingAdd mayonnaise to a bowl, add lemon juice, salt, sugar, pepper and mix well till combinedAdd mayonnaise dressing to coleslaw in bits until desired creamy level is achieved. Chill in the fridge till you are ready to serve.Coleslaw can be kept in the fridge for up to 3 days without dressing and up to 24 hours with dressing
If you’ve made this recipe, don’t forget to leave me feedback. Tag me on Instagram, Facebook and save away to your Pinterest. I love seeing you recreate my recipes. Enjoy x