Last Updated on
This Zobo drink (Hibiscus drink) is refreshing, tasty and insanely easy to make
The weather is getting warmer and better by the day and I really wish it stays this way. Lawd! I can’t deal with the cold weather. Last weekend, the weather was very fair to us here in the UK. I decided to grace it by making a very popular drink I grew up having back in Nigeria, Zobo.
Zobo is a dried type of leaf and it is also called hibiscus leaf or sorrel. It can be easily sourced from the market. Zobo drink is very refreshing and medicinal too. I also know another type of hibiscus leaf called Ishapa used to cook egusi soup. My late grandmother made it for us severally, while growing up. Bless her soul! She was a wonderful cook and I miss her cooking a lot. I am not sure if ishapa is still very handy as it was back then. Meanwhile, Zobo, on the other hand, is very much available and affordable too.
This is meant to be a very short post, so let me stop rambling now. If you would like to learn more about Zobo leaves check here: you will be surprised at how mighty this colourful flower is. The health benefit of drinking Zobo is a lot. Some studies showed it may even help with weight loss and reduce hypertension.
Sugar to taste, optional
How to make Zobo drink
Rinse zobo leaves to get rid of dirt/debris.
Place zobo leaves and all other ingredients excluding the sugar into a pan and bring to boil with 4 cups of water for 15minutes. If you will be adding sugar or any other sweetener, add it to the mixture while it is still hot and mix together to combine.
Leave zobo to steep for about 2-4 hours depending on how much time you have got
Strain the content through the tiniest sieve you have to get rid of any settlements
Leave zobo to cool and serve chilled or with ice. Garnish with lemon or lime. Enjoy x
Zobo Drink (Hibiscus Drink)
- 50 g dried Zobo leaves
- 1 pineapple cut into chunks
- 1 orange cut into segments
- 6 pieces of cloves substitute with the 1 tbsp ground cloves (kanafuru)
- Ginger 2-3 sugar cube sizes
- Sugar to taste optional
- Rinse zobo leaves clean to get rid of dirt.
- Place zobo leaves and all other ingredients excluding the sugar into a pan and bring to boil for 15minutes.If you will be adding sugar or any other sweetener to the zobo, do it while the mixture is still hot.
- Leave zobo to steep for about 2-4 hours depending on how much time you have got.
- Strain the content through the tiniest sieve you have to get rid of any settlements
- Leave zobo to cool and serve chilled or with ice. Garnish with lemon or lime